Thursday, October 21, 2010

Memorable Marathon

It was been 8 days since my last post and wow has it been busy. I left last Friday for Long Beach California to run the Long Beach International Marathon with my Dad. It was such an experience to be able to share that memory with him. We spend Friday afternoon and evening getting situated and becoming familiar with our surroundings. Saturday was a relaxing day, trying to rest in preparation for the big day; we  wandered around the city, taking in the running expo and napping. Both my Dad and I were up early on Sunday morning with a wake up call just after 5am (however, i am not sure either of us managed to sleep past 3:30am - due to the excitement). It is difficult to express the excitement, anticipation and finally exhilaration that i felt Sunday morning as i watched the 2500 bike racers speed off down the course. Then it was our turn an hour later, where we were surrounded by 18 000 other runners who were participating in either the half or full marathon. Men and Women of all ages were geared up and ready to go, making last minute ajustments to their watches, sport belts, Ipods and race numbers. It was amazing to feel that i was one of "those" people that i have admired for so long. The race begain and ended the same way, with my Dad and i crossing the start and finish line together. We trained together for 16 weeks for this race and it was well worth it. I am so proud to have had the opportunity to train and run this marathon with my Dad. A journey never to be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment